ShareStream’s Video and Media Management App for Canvas by Instructure
Is your institution or school seeking to extend its Canvas environment with cutting-edge streaming media capabilities?
ShareStream’s Video and Media Management App for Canvas—which leverages the Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) specification—allows institutions to extend Canvas with an easy-to-use video solution for instructional and student-generated media, available seamlessly within the Canvas environment. Faculty, staff and students (if granted the required privileges) utilize ShareStream’s Extension for Canvas to:
- upload video, audio and image files;
- create clips;
- tag content with metadata;
- search across and browse instructional-media collections for the courses in which they are enrolled;
- access media assets through streaming to desktop computers and mobile devices or (if permitted) through podcasts and RSS feeds.
The ShareStream Platform and ShareStream’s Video and Media Management App for Canvas by Instructure can be implemented as a software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution or as an on-premises solution installed on a university, college or school’s servers. ShareStream is a longstanding Canvas Certified Partner.
Key features and integration points between Canvas by Instructure’s learning management system and the ShareStream Platform include:
- LTI Tool for ShareStream Pick-n-Play, the faculty and student-facing application of the ShareStream Video Platform. Pick-n-Play provides instructors and students with an intuitive solution for uploading, transcoding, browsing, tagging, playing and collaborating on course media content.
- LTI Tool for ShareStream MediaManager, the primary administrative application of the ShareStream Online Video Platform. MediaManager provides instructional technologists, media specialists, and librarians with the core administrative media functionality for managing a campus-wide media service, including metadata, collection management, digital rights management (DRM), media publishing features and reporting on user and content accesses.
- Ability to Add a ShareStream Media Asset as a Module in Canvas
- ShareStream Media Button Integration with the Rich Content Editor in Canvas, which allows instructors to add media stored in ShareStream directly from Canvas’s Content Editor to various locations in Canvas, including Assignment, Announcements, Blogs, Discussions and the Syllabus
- ShareStream’s Media Dropbox for Student-Generated Content, which allows students to submit media to instructors for assessment and commentary, or to fellow students enrolled in the course for collaboration
- Integration with Canvas’s API for OAuth2 Based Identity Services, which allows users accessing the ShareStream Platform’s standalone application to authenticate via Canvas.